Congratulations on your Engagement - amazing news! Getting engaged is the beginning of your own unique journey into becoming a Mrs and I’m so glad that we will get to help you along your way!
No matter what type of wedding you are planning – glamourous and sparkly, or laid back and bohemian, your wedding will be the ultimate display of you and your partners’ love – a total celebration of what you have together. So, make sure that you enjoy every moment between now and your big day – it really is such a special time.
When you’re ready (and you have soaked up all of the engagement cards, well wishes and champagne!), you can make a start on planning what kind of wedding you want to have. First up should be deciding roughly what will fit with you and your fiancés wishes the best – and what you would like to achieve. Will you be wanting a Barn Wedding or a Hotel Wedding? Something quite lavish or something quite simple? There are no hard and fast rules – choose a wedding style that says the most about you as a couple. From there, you can then start to think about your budget and how much money you will need for the wedding that you are imagining to take place.
Pulling together a wedding budget is a great thing to get done and out in the open with your beau – think about where you will be pulling your budget together from – your savings, your families helping out, an extra job? There are lots of ways to finance a wedding and the more upfront you are with your partner in the early stages of your planning means that there will be no need for upset further down the line.
Be ruthless in your honesty about how much you have to spend, which will of course influence where you hold your wedding, how many guests you invite and what you will spend on your dress, amongst all of the other elements you would like to include. If you feel overwhelmed at any point, just check in on our Real Life Budget Weddings on the Blog for some true stories on weddings with set budgets – there should be some really helpful points there that will help you realise your potential with your own wedding budget!
And if you would like an awesome way to track your wedding budget, I have created a really useful Wedding Budgeting Spreadsheet which contains all of the areas that you need to think about – from Catering to Venue Costs and everything in between - you can get your copy here! The lines are all pre-populated with everything that you could possibly need to think of, so you won’t worry that you have forgotten a thing!
Over the next few weeks, I will be going into the different parts of early wedding planning to help you plot your way! In the meantime, keep in touch on our Facebook page and on Twitter and Instagram @Budgetbrideco!
I thought it would be nice to share some stuff about me with you in today’s post! Here’s 30 things you probably didn’t know…
1. John and I would love to keep a sausage dog, but we haven’t got round to it yet!
2. I love cooking and think the majority of my dishes come out OK… but I am a horrific baker, anything cake related usually comes out a bit of a nightmare!
3. I get vertigo at the top of tall buildings but love flying by plane more than anything!
4. I lived in Saudi Arabia for four years when I was a kid due to my Parent’s jobs.
5. I am the eldest of six children.
6. When I’m not pregnant, I love nothing more than a free evening to cook a three course meal in, with a beautiful bottle of red wine. Whilst I am pregnant as it turns out, I can’t really be bothered with cooking much at all!
7. I have always wanted to have REALLY purple hair (like the girl’s wig in the movie Kick Ass), but for some reason, it always seems to come out dark brown with a hint of red?!
8. John and I met when I was just 18 years old. He was a quantity surveyor and I was a junior secretary. I fancied him from the first moment I saw him!
9. My favourite holiday ever was to Cuba with John when I was 21. It was a three star, all inclusive holiday that we managed to get for £600 each. We drank cocktails constantly and went to Club Tropicana.
10. In Cuba, I swam with dolphins… and I found it to be a thoroughly terrifying experience.
11. I cannot stand raw celery.
12. I want to live by the sea one day.
13. I love old fashioned names – Ruby, Coral and Rose are amongst my favourite girls names.
14. I love live music and have been lucky enough to see New Order, The Beastie Boys, U2, Sterophonics, Kasabian, Garbage, Britney Spears amongst tonnes of others over the course of my varied gig going history!
15. I love writing and my only A at GCSE was in English Language.
16. I left sixth form early and ended up doing my A Levels at evening college a couple of years later – I took Film Studies and Sociology.
17. My favourite perfume is Gucci Rush.
18. My favourite surprise from John was when he took me to Bruges on the Euro Star for my birthday one year.
19. Although I own about 20 pairs of beautiful high heels, you will almost always find me in either a flat pair of boots, or a pair of leopard print converse!
20. I love Hawaiian music.
21. My favourite flowers are pink lily’s.
22. Home made shepherds pie is my favourite dinner in the world.
23. I visited Scotland for the first time this Summer.
24. I once sat on an underground train in London opposite Paul Nicholls and my legs went all wobbly!
25. I always claim that I am a night owl and not a morning person at all, but most of the best work that I do is in the morning each day.
26. John and I go on holiday to the same apartment in Cornwall every year in May. We can’t wait to take the new baby there!
27. My favourite film is True Romance. Closely followed by Monty Pythons Holy Grail.
28. My favourite book is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson.
29. One day, I would love to go to Costa Rica on holiday.
30. I love flamingos and would like to decorate at least one room in our house with flamingo wallpaper.
So there you go – a little insight into Laura Land for you! I would love to know some interesting ‘facts’ about you! Why not share three of yours with us over on the Facebook page?!